Sunday 30 August 2015

latest bit of green

Not easy to see as the light in my old farmhouse is not good. Being built in a time when there were no glass windows, just wooden shutters, windows were small and few. The French doors in the background we put in. This end of the the big room will be our dining room.To the left of the picture is a fireplace with a wood burner, we will build a halfway here and place vertical beams along it to separate the dining from the lounge. A future project but it helps me cope thinking about our house finished.
When we create our lounge we are going to build our sofa. We want a big L shaped one. I am planning to make the cushions and with this in mind have started collecting goose feathers. They shed a fair amount so they are going into a bag ready for the day!
We have settled into having raw milk and have had no problems. Once it cools down I will have a go at butter. I need to gather a few things for cheese making which will take a while on my tight budget.
I am currently searching for a linen cupboard to house both our and the Gite bedding. I will find one at a price I am willing to pay.
The chair in the picture is one of six we found for €50. Another bargain. We want another two chairs to go with our table that can seat 12. I think 8 will be enough especially as I have 8 place settings with my best China.
I now have a pantry full of jam, certainly more than enough to last until next year. Rather a lot is blackcurrant! Still have blackberry and apple to do once that harvest is in.
I am planning to have a go at making baguette which P likes every lunchtime. Not sure if I can keep it up on a daily basis but would like to replace some. I have made two batches of biscuits for the week too which I am very keen to continue and stop buying factory biscuits.
Once the Gite business has finished I will give time to looking at further ventures to clean up our lives. I want to have some goals in place for next year.

2 comments:

  1. Building your own sofa and stuffing the cushions with goose feathers.....now that IS green! Yes that room would be quite dark without those French doors, I imagine. You'll get there in the end, Aly, things will be easier once your elder daughter and SiL are fully moved over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am collecting a handful each day so will hopefully have enough!

    ReplyDelete