Friday 21 August 2015

My little duck

Well I finally managed to post another photo! This is the duckiling I rescued as an egg! It is now four days old and doing well. Still no idea what sex it is! I tried it without the heat lamp for a while today but it was cold. It is having a daily swim in the kitchen sink and loves diving under the water. Today I put some cooked rice in the water and it enjoyed diving for it. It is amazing how they are pre programmed to do things. It preens after the swim which will encourage the water proofing oils. I plan to keep it with me until much bigger.
The original two to hatch are very big now and are white. They are pure Aylesbury. They have learned that when I clap my hands they come out of the pond and go into the house. I teach all my ducks this. The next three are mallard/ Aylesbury crosses and will I think be very pretty. Brown striped backs and heads and white tummies, like the one in the picture. Mum took them out into the field with the cows today, they looked very small trotting around with the other ducks.
I did a deep clean of the duck house today as the nest is no longer needed. It took ages and when the ducks went in they were upset with the change. I would like a new duck house as our home made one is difficult to clean out. I looked at one on line but they wanted over £300 to deliver. I hope that when we have our roof done the tiles will come on wooden pallets. I plan to use the pallets to build a new duck house. The goose house is done this way and works well. My other option is to buy a small shed.
This week I sorted out my freezer. Everything is now grouped so is easier to find. I have had a week of not doing any shopping as I wanted to use up things in the freezer. Once the weather cools a bit I will light the Esse and convert the large store of fruit into jam!
I have asked P if when our English house sells I can have a plus two for my Esse. It is a ridiculous price but it is an electric oven with hob. It will be Oxford blue the same as my wood burner and will have a new chrome towel rail to make it look like one cooker. The plinth is replaced as well. This will then give cooking facilities for both summer and winter. Perfect solution and will look good! Just hope the house sells.
We are getting on well with the raw milk, no ill effects. Tomorrow I will use some to make yogurt.
I hope tomorrow will not be so hot!

2 comments:

  1. Hope you get your Esse extension. It sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good you're not getting any ill effects from the raw milk. Seems daft that we live on dairy farmland and can't buy milk, and husband works for a dairy and isn't allowed to bring any milk home!

    ReplyDelete