Monday 24 August 2015

A sorting out day

This is an old cupboard we bought a while ago. The usual silly price as this sort of furniture is no longer popular. We had filled it with books. My best China has remained packed away since moving here. P wants to have people to dinner regularly so I wanted to be able use my best China. When we finally divide our large room into lounge and dining room, this cupboard will be in the dining room to hold my China so why not start now. It has cheered me up no end to have my best stuff available again. I was also pleased to see it undamaged. I could never afford to replace this set.
I am getting more fed up with living in a mess and cannot wait until we start on our house.
The ducklings are doing well and getting big now. My foster duck is still indoors but no longer needs the heat lamp. It is eating well and enjoys a daily swim in the kitchen sink. Bruno loves to watch it swimming with his big paws up on the edge of the sink. The duckling does not seem at all bothered by him.
It is going well with our raw milk. Bought more today. Our guests in the Gite asked for another bottle too. As we now buy fresh milk as needed it has made some space in the freezer. I used to buy several bottles each week and freeze them. I still have lots of soft fruit in the freezer waiting to be made into jam. I must do it soon as before long a whole lamb will be delivered that has to be frozen. I buy from a local farm who butcher it for me. As a vegetarian I could never do that.
I have started thinking about winter clothes so have ordered some pale pink needle cord and some royal blue wool. I have some pale blue needle cord already so will make two longer length skirts that can be worn with boots. I will then knit a couple of cardigans to layer with polo neck jumpers. I will need one more length of needle cord so I have three skirts. With two pairs of jeans and several jumpers that should see me good for winter. All I have to do then is keep my weight roughly the same so it still fits! There is a bigger incentive when you make things yourself.
It feels like we have moved into Autumn already but I have to say I am not unhappy about this, it has been a good summer, sometimes too hot. I love the time when we start lighting the wood burner in the evening. Then my now very big crochet bed spread will come out again and I think this year I will actually finish it. I think then I will redo the blinds in our bedroom and bathroom and try to get it looking better.
Our big thing coming up is we are having our house re roofed. I will supply photos, before, during and after. Our current roof has been in place a long time. There is no felt as that was not used when this roof was tiled. It will make a great difference to the warmth to have felt. We have a roofer booked who will allow P to work with him reducing the labour cost.
Life feels good just now.

2 comments:

  1. Making clothes is one thing I've never done.....sewing is just not my thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes an effort to get started but once I get going I enjoy it. It is much easier to pick up and put down crochet or knitting! I can now do a simple dress in two days.

    ReplyDelete