Monday 7 September 2015

Another new venture and yes it is green

tomorrow afternoon I will collect my first organic veg box direct from a farmer. I sign a contract for a year agreeing to buy a box every week. The farmer has just been certified organic and is fairly new. At the moment he just grows veg but is looking at getting livestock soon. I hope to convince him to keep pigs outdoors as all pork comes from intensively farmed, indoor pigs. I do not agree with the way they are kept so cannot buy pork. Not that I eat it but OH and visitors do!
I have known about this scheme for some time but have not had one local to me until now. It will certainly test my French!
I have been having fun with my chickens. Egg production had really dropped off and I could not understand it. Also almost daily I was finding a broken egg, sometimes two in the barn. First I found 13 eggs in a pile in the garden. Then I saw two chickens up on the wall and one was sitting. I shifted them both off and found six eggs up on the top of the wall! The chickens were knocking the eggs off the ledge when going to lay the next one! I now have a big bowl of eggs! I plan to make cakes for the freezer so that I can check each egg. Now I know what is happening the egg supply will be good again! The ducks are kindly leaving one or two eggs in the duck house each morning. That will stop soon though as they do not lay over winter.
I need to get the winter cabbage and onions in soon. I would also like to get some kale in. Not really sure what else I plant now so need to do a bit of research.
I have a young lad lined up to help in the garden. He needs to earn money to pay his scooter insurance which he now rides to school. They are allowed to ride scooters at 14 here! I plan to get him sorting out my half built greenhouse as I want to start veg off in it next year. I want to get to the point where my organic box and what I grow keep us going all year. I no longer want to buy from supermarkets.

No comments:

Post a Comment