Wednesday 11 January 2017

Rebel in the camp!

It is now six weeks since my chickens were locked in. During that time I have read lots about bird flu and obeyed the orders. I have also been out and about and have seen no end of chickens, ducks and geese out in fields. I have checked with my vet who confirmed there are no cases of bird flu anywhere near. Meanwhile my poor chickens are miserable. The ducks, in the time they shared the space have reduced the run to a mud bath with no grass left. So after much thought I took the decision ten minutes ago to let the chickens out. They are now happily foraging the way they are meant to. I will not do this every day but just now and then whilst the lockdown continues. Obviously if any bird flu is found within 20 miles they will stay in!
The ducks and geese seem happy with their enclosure and as they tend to fly over the fences into the fields they are staying put! They are also happy in mud!
Work is continuing here slowly. It is very hard to be motivated at this time of year and we are surrounded by a sea of mud! The farmers are daily emptying the cow barns now and dumping the muck on nearby fields. This means endless muddy tractors on the roads that leave a trail of mud behind. Life in rural France is not all roses.
January seems to be passing fairly quickly and we are focusing very much on the end of February when the weather usually improves. I have so much I want to do in the garden but due to rain, fog and freezing temperatures cannot get out there.
The good news is though that I am getting on well with the crochet along. The first week I have to do 20  rows and I am on row 14. The next lot of instructions come on Friday. I do not usually follow patterns so this is a challenge. It is a wave pattern and there are definetly waves there! I have so much wool to make into throws it will keep me busy for months!
I am sorry to say I have drifted a bit from my vegan eating. The cookery books I bought use a lot of weird ingredients I am not happy using. My main focus is to ditch chemicals and it has rather felt like I have increased them! I am mostly sticking to it but am not being strict! I feel no chemicals is more important.
I have recently bought online some organic vegetable, chemical free shampoo and conditioner. It was not very cheap but fits in with what I am trying to achieve. As my makeup is finished I am doing the same with that. I am curently using an organic eye liner! I am still trying to make as much as I can myself. My ideal is to only buy basics from shops, nothing ready made.
I am also sticking to a tight budget in order to be able to save. It is rainy day money but I feel happier knowing I have a bit put by. I will never save as much as I did when working but am happy with this. A simple life all the way!

2 comments:

  1. Love the title of your entry today, Aly! Keep up the positive attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am not normally rebellious, honest!

    ReplyDelete