Sunday 15 January 2017

Mud mud glorious (or not) mud

The cold snap has given way to constant rain. The chicken and duck runs are a sea of mud. Another reason to let them out in the hope the runs can recover.
The farmers now have the cows in the barns which means tractors are out daily dumping the much from the barns in the fields. Very good manure I know but it means the local roads are coated in mud. Every time I go out I get muddy! It also means it is walked into the house by both us and the dogs. Long term the plan is to build a porch front and back to house muddy boots.
We lost one of our disabled ducks recently but the more severely disabled one is still going. I have just moved her back with the ducks but do not think she can manage. She can barely walk. The kindest thing to do would be to dispatch her but I cannot do it. Him indoors has said he will deal with it when I am out. We have friends who regularly process birds for the table and have always said they will help if needed. I guess it is time to call on one of them. I cannot bear for any creature to die but know I am not being fair to her. So much for being self sufficient!
The coming week is said to be much colder which will at least harden the mud. The wood burner will be blazing non stop I think. Hopefully it will also kill off the bird flu. Still nothing near me so all the gang are out and about. They need to forage.
Life is always hard in winter and I guess has ever been so! At least we still have plenty of food! A few bees have been venturing out despite the weather. They have the fondant to feed on so not sure what they are doing. Possibly getting water. Before long I will have to think about getting a second hive, ready for the swarming season! I do not want to lose my bees, they are so gentle.
Having a lazy Sunday, nice to do sometimes. I am happy sat by the fire doing my crochet. Sharing the sofa with two dogs and a cat! Think I may have a glass of wine with Sunday dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment