Sunday 5 March 2017

A week of hospital visits

not an easy week this last one.
Last Tuesday we had to go to a poly clinic an hour away for him indoors to have a scintigraph...bone scan in English. We found it easily enough! We arrived in the department 1/4 of hour early and checked in. Within minutes him indoors was called. First an interview with the doctor who amazingly spoke English and even more amazingly was happy to use it. Then he went into the scanning room. I settled down with my crochet. There was no one else in the waiting room and it was very quiet. I could along the corridor to the waiting area for cardiology. An older couple were sat facing me and just sat and stared. No smile! Maybe they had never seen crochet before. After an hour Him indoors came back and we were told we could go but be back for 2.50. He had been injected with a nuclear substance and had had the soft tissue scanned. It would take a couple of hours for the radium to get to his bones. We went to a big DIY place to get some bits we needed then found some lunch. Before going back to the clinic. Again no waiting. After the second scan we waited about ten minutes then him indoors went to see the doctor again. It was confirmed him indoors has algodystrophy from his left elbow up to his left shoulder. This has been caused by the injury, surgery and being in plaster so long. It will take up to a year to recover and for a minority it never gets better. All that can be done is Physio and pain killers. It has caused decalcification of the bone which causes chronic pain. We left with the scans on a disc and a diagnosis.
Then on Friday we had to go to another hospital, an hour away in the opposite direction for an X-ray. We were to go back on Saturday morning at 9am for an MRI to the same place so were  told the X-rays would be given to the MRI department. Again I took my crochet to do whilst he was being scanned! He found this one uncomfortable as he had to have his left arm above his head and The MRI scanner is a tunnel with little room for someone just over six foot! This just confirmed the diagnosis we were given on a Tuesday. Again we left with the films and a diagnosis. The health service here is fantastic!
Tomorrow he sees our GP with all the pictures, letters and other paperwork. Then we have to go back to see the surgeon again with all the pictures, letters and paperwork. Here we keep all the X-rays. It is all held on the health service computer system but you are expected to bring them to any future appointments to do with this problem!
Yesterday him indoors went down with a cold. I reckon it is because he had to get his kit off so many times! I have dosed him up with lemon and honey.
It is hard keeping his moral up, he is suddenly feeling old!
I finished my moorland blanket and gave to my eldest daughter. She had admired it as it was growing! I have now started the cupcake blanket which is very different...the colours are cloud blue, fondant, sherbet.. 15 different lovely colours.
I have finished one of the mug cosies from my little box of crochet, but it was too big for a mug. It is on a parfait jar and looks great. I will make more to go on the other jars that are on a shelf.
The baby blanket is growing but I must get on with that as grandson arrives in about five weeks. I have been gathering a few bits to go in a basket as a gift. My current grandson loves all things orange so I want to make him an orange and white snuggle blanket. I will make him a little basket of things too so he does not feel left out.

5 comments:

  1. You will be glad this week is over! Keeping fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris. We have been told it will take a year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about your husband. Good to have diagnosis, but not good to have such a long road ahead. If he is as tough as you are, he can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Beth. It is me who is the tough one..I drag everyone else up! He is needing lots of support just now as I am weaning him off the strong painkillers which he has been taking out of fear of pain! The level of pain now is manageable with Ibruprofen.

    ReplyDelete