Friday 24 March 2017

The busy time begins

We have recovered from the shock of the fire and everyone is fine so will say no more about it!
Gardening has begun! All the barrels are now planted and we have put flower pots in the old hay cart with trailing lobelia that will hang over the edges. Should look lovely. I have started digging over the veg plot and have planted seeds in old cardboard egg boxes that are on the window sill of the cloakroom. The cabbage seeds I planted a week ago have sprouted! Today I have planted courgettes, cucumber and butter nut squash. I plan to buy plug plants of leeks, lettuce and tomatoes.
If my polytunnel ever gets finished I will put chilies and aubergines in there!
The black currant cuttings I was given have all taken and are starting to leaf. My second damson tree is just coming into blossom and with the bees in the garden now we should get a bumper crop! This year I want to bottle and freeze enough to get us through winter. If I have space I will also plant peas but this year I will soak them first as this will stop the mice eating them before they can grow!
We are all busy planting flowers too as we want colour! As this place started life as a farm few flowers have ever been planted. I have loads of snow drops and violets that have self seeded. The orchard soon will be covered in clover which is great for the bees. They are so busy now bringing in loads of pollen!
Tomorrow the clocks go forward an hour so it will be lighter in the evenings. This is good as it means more can be done. I will get some time in after dinner which is the only way to get on top of things!
In a few weeks our first guests of the year arrive. Bookings are still light but we hope to get a few more soon!
The second Gite is nearly ready then it will be finish off the third one and on to our house! The end is in sight!

1 comment:

  1. A very ambitious plan - hope all comes to fruition. Nothing is growing here yet but at least the snow is gone.

    ReplyDelete