Monday 13 March 2017

Buzz buzz 🐝

We have had a few much warmer days and my bees have been very busy. They are out and about again and coming home with very full pockets. I needed to check the situation with the fondant I put on in January so one warm afternoon I togged up and opened the hive. Loads of bees I'm pleased to report so they have survived the winter. The fondant had almost gone but the bag was full of bees so I  left it on top of the hive. I did not open the brood box as it is obvious the queen is ok by the behavior of the bees. I have now put the first super on ready to be loaded with honey. We are now starting to look for a second hive in preparation for the swarming season.
As part of developing my wildlife area I am going to construct a bug hotel. I have a large wooden container the roof tiles came in which I will put near the pond. I will then gradually build all the different habitats inside this. It will interesting to see who moves in!
I have treated myself to two rambling roses. I have bought David Austin scented white roses. This is my favourite brand. I now need to construct an arch over our front gate for them to scramble up. I then plan to buy some pots of heather, purple and white to line the fence at the back of my house. I very much want to get some colour into our garden and also help the bees. It has to be done in stages due to the cost.
I was given loads of blackcurrant cuttings that I planted. They all seem to have taken and are budding. I am very pleased about this as I want to make blackcurrant cordial to go with the elder flower cordial I make each year. Soon I will go to the garden center and look for more soft fruit. I would love to find some gooseberries. Also red currants. I hope my quince tree comes good this year. We also have some new plum trees we hope will fruit. The big damson tree in the corner of my veg plot is thick with blossom. With my bees in place I hope for a good lot of fruit from that too. That will be jam....mmmmm damson jam! I plan to grow loads of tomatoes this year too as I make it into passata which I freeze. This is used for pasta sauces and soups through winter. I am hoping to get a couple of old tractor tyres to plant potatoes in. They can sit in the veg patch. I have not been able to change around the veg patch so will have another year of the potager garden. I will be out there soon digging over the beds. I need to get the onion sets in soon.
The warmer weather brings work but I enjoy doing this. It reduces my shopping bill and gives us a taste of summer during the long winter months. My veg garden is organic as is my land. No chemicals are allowed! Means a lot of weeding but better that than use chemicals. The only weed killer I use is white vinegar.
Life feels much better today. Him indoors is over the worst although still not sleeping properly. He is off all medication now. Next session of Physio is booked as is another appointment with the surgeon, hopefully the last one.
Tomorrow we are sorting out a mini digger to create the petang court! We are all excited about finally getting this done. Next year our little pub will be created and we will start making beer and mead!
Everything is back on track again and with the arrival of spring we are all much happier.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Everything seems to be on the up and up for you both at the moment. I love to hear about your bees but what is a petang court? Some kind of ball game?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other name is boules! A very French game.

    ReplyDelete