Wednesday 29 March 2017

Into the unknown

So we now start the process of not knowing what is coming. It is fair to say we never know what is around the corner but I had felt living in the first and last house in Normandy would be a permanent thing. We have no mortgage and no debts so had thought it is ours. A few people have talked of Cyprus and how owners were pushed out and the houses given to the Turks. I guess it is a case of anything is possible.
It also depends on who is voted in to run France in June. We could have heavy taxes imposed, it could be difficult for us to go back to the UK to visit. It could also be a lot harder for people to visit us which would impact our business and could render life not viable here. No hard facts just ideas put forward by news papers and news programmes.  So it really is the big unknown!
Today we are having the micro station emptied! Ready for the holiday season....! It is always a challenge for the chap to get his lorry in the right place, it just fits between the big barn and our garden fence! That will generate a pile of paperwork that we have to file against the day someone comes to inspect! I find French paperwork exhausting!
Today, if the sun shines I will do a hive inspection. I need to check the brood box and see if the bees are filling the super yet. I saw a brilliant video on Facebook done by English bee keepers and talking through a hive inspection. It has given me the confidence to go for it. This is not something I will do often as my approach is very hands off. The priority is the bees and their welfare.
My veg seeds are growing well, another month and they can go outside. With all the bramble clearance we uncovered three young plum trees which now have blossom on them. It would be good to add plums to our store! The row of cherry trees are in blossom too! The bees have so much choice.
Did I mention I have been given 36 kilner/parfait jars? Real treasure! I am gradually putting them into use. Just 14 to use now. They are in my pantry ( I am giving them crochet jackets to cheer things up) in my fridge and I use them to freeze things in! Once the elder flowers arrive I will fill several with elder flower cordial to give us cold drinks until the black currants are ready. I still have some rosehip syrup bridging the gap until the elder flowers! This week my shopping bill was €28! Not bad going! The dog kibble I buy every other month due to the amount of homemade food they have. We have masses of eggs at the moment so three times a week they have scrambled eggs for breakfast. They sit watching me whilst I prepare it and wait for it to cool! Today I will make a batch of treat biscuits for them. I am doing quite well at reducing costs. It means more work for me but that is ok! It is also removing chemicals from our lives!
We have come a long way with self sufficiency and I have learned many new skills. I am sure that if we did have to go back to the U.K. I would continue in this way. Even with a small garden I would keep bees and a couple of chickens. Veg can be grown in small places.
For now I will keep improving what we do and enjoy caring for my animals. It is still peaceful at the first and last house in Normandy.

2 comments:

  1. It must be a worrying time for you! I'll be interested to see what you do with the blackcurrants. We have some bushes in the garden of the house we bought last year, I put them in the freezer and never got around to doing anything with them. This year I hope to do something with them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cordial! Yummy hot in winter!

    ReplyDelete