Sunday 11 October 2015

My happy geese

Sorry it is rather dark! This shows goose hall and the pond I have sorted for them today. I am very proud of my up cycled pond! It has been created using an old tractor tyre I was given free. We used the inner tube opened up and siliconed onto the the base to form the bottom of the pond. I dug out the earth about a foot and lowered the tyre into it. I then built up the outer edges with earth to create a slope for the geese to get into into the pond. As soon as it was filled they were in it.
I have been rethinking our duck area. When we build the new housing for ducks, geese and goats I will have them all in one area. The duck pond will converted into a wild life pond and we will plant it up with water lilies and such. The new pond is easy to empty and clean which is needed as the birds are very messy. When we dig out the footings for the new animal house I will use the earth to build up the sides more. Eventually it will become a grassy slope. And it hasn't cost me a penny! Or even euro!
Daughter and hubby arrived yesterday with all their worldly goods. It is now stored in one of the unfinished Gites until we have finished their house. They have gone back today to take the lorry back and sort out the final bits. Monday week they come back. We have already had lots of discussions about what we will do here. All positive stuff. We really will be living like a commune which I am very happy about. Together we will be self sufficient. Sil has said he thinks he can cope with killing the poultry and with help at first I can cope with plucking and gutting. I have a lovely lady who will show me and help me. With the small holders association I am planning on joining I will have a network to help me get my new life on track. I also have a good network of people to barter with, something I am very keen to do.
I feel very fortunate to be able to live this way.

2 comments:

  1. How lovely to live the life you dreamed of.. I read back and admire you. I love where we live and have a garden where we grow a large selection of veg,.
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could enlarge the picture, and then it wasn't too dark at all. Now you will have all of your children living on the same compound??

    ReplyDelete