Saturday 17 October 2015

Another 1st

today we went to look at a car advertised on. French website. P is treating me to a new car and I have had trouble deciding what to have. All I knew was I wanted a left hand drive and something smallish. He found me a Mini Cooper! We found the house and managed to inspect the car do a test drive and negotiate the price all in French. The way it works here is the current owner has to get a new controle technique (MOT) so that will be done next week and we will pick it up on 27th. All we have to do then is complete a form to change the ownership. It means a lot to me each time we succeed in doing something like this and boosts my confidence. The family were lovely and had no problem dealing with us.
It has taken a long time to feel at home here but I am now feeling I will stay here. Since dad died I have not wanted to go back to the UK at all.
My eldest daughter and her hubby arrive on Monday which is the icing on the cake! It will be so lovely to have both my girls here. We have so much planned now, plenty to keep us busy and fired up to push forward with our self sufficient life style.

3 comments:

  1. Since I've only been to France twice, but the UK many times, I would always choose the UK. Maybe that's my love of British literature, churches, countryside, villages, London, theatre, lack of any French language, etc. I loved in Germany from 1985-1987, but that is the only time I have lived in a foreign country. Maybe if I lived in the UK, I would feel differently about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bit of France is beautiful, I am deep amongst dairy farmers. We have chateaux of various ages and many old buildings. It is amazing how much has survived given the French Revolution and two world wars! I am learning to accept the cultural differences and go with them rather than fight them. We have now perfected the French shrug they are famous for! My ancestors were probably Norman so guess that is why I am happy here! It is a big thing to move to another country never mind one that has a different language but I am pleased we have done it. I will never speak French like a native but can cope with most situations now. Most of the natives forgive my errors and help me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the explanation. I think you and your family are very brave to undertake this venture. What an exciting time for you.

    ReplyDelete