Thursday 1 October 2015

Another new venture

I am going to start making our own butter. As I now have only raw milk it will be possible. The cream that forms is beautiful and I plan to buy more milk that I will skim. The remaining milk can be used to make yogurt. This will also open an opportunity to make cream too. With the milk at €1 per litre it will save money. We do not use much butter just now but I would like to use it in baking and get rid of the commercial marg. I plan to use my Kenwood to make the butter.
I am currently making soup too. With the organic veg box every week I have lots to choose from. The tomatoes are yummy and made a scrumptious tomato and basil soup.
On Saturday I am having a day with the organic farmers! We are having a tour of two farms, a chance to do a bit of work and a lunch. No charge! It is because I have joined the association! I hope to pick up ideas for my own veg plot!
Lit the wood burner this evening, love the cosy feel it gives the room

2 comments:

  1. You're really getting into everything now and making huge strides in becoming self sufficient.....hard work but enjoyable I would imagine. You're very lucky to be able to do all this, Aly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Sometimes it is hard to recognize myself!

    ReplyDelete