Friday 3 February 2017

Just sometimes....🤔

Just before it was light this morning a tractor pulled up at the top of our drive with head lights on shining into our house. Morning all! Hadn't planned on such an early start today but no choice. The dogs were barking and him indoors was still asleep. As soon as the sun started rising and a bit of light was evident the tractor was joined by a digger. They have spent the day digging out new ditches by the side of our access road, and digging up the road itself. This is just one section. We hope this means our access road is going to be resurfaced at last. We have had no notification! It has been difficult getting in and out today especially in my mini as there are large pot holes! As it is Saturday tomorrow I do not know if the road will be repaired before next week. We will probably have a weekend of trying to get in and out without damaging any of our cars.
Then we have been trying to sort out the insurance on the Corvette which runs out this month. We were given a price that is double what it was last year even though is has been off the road all winter and no claims have been made. We started trying to deal with it two weeks ago but the chap who runs the insurance company has declined to respond to any emails, phone calls or visits to the shop. The secretary tells us each time he will call us but he never does. We have now started investigating changing company but to do this, even just for a quote we have to provide full documentation. Copy of driving licence, ownership document, current contract and probably a blood sample too. All we want is a quote! No wonder the French never shop around.
It is always officialdom that makes me want to head for the ferry port. Why does everything have to be so complicated?
When we went for the X-ray yesterday of him indoors painful shoulder they asked for our phone number as they wanted us to complete a questionnaire. Fine, but could we not have it writing as we know we will have no chance understanding it over the phone. It was difficult enough making the appointment for the X-ray! Once home there was a message on the phone, spoken at speed about the questionnaire. We have not bothered returning the call. I really think I do not belong here. I have tried  the Very French shrug but that is not me. I challenge officialdom which they do not like. I ask questions about my options so I can make informed decisions. Apparently I am just meant to accept the 'experts' opinion.
Just as I think maybe I can make it work living here officialdom gets in the way.

2 comments:

  1. Boy, that`s one muddy road! I hope it gets surfaced soon. Sorry you are still having problems with the way things operate in France. I guess it`s just better to accept the way things are done there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have perfected the French shrug!
    On a positive note our insurer replied last night and has reduced the cost of insuring the. Corvette to just €2 more than last year! Can live with that!

    ReplyDelete