Thursday 28 July 2016

Update on chicks

These are two of the six chicks born this year. They are almost full size. They are very healthy and happy in the flock. The others keep asking if they are ready for the pot and I keep saying they are not big enough. I cannot face them going in the freezer.
It seems to me there is too much horror in the world now and I desperately want to keep my little world peaceful. I feel there is no place for killing animals. We do not need meat so let them live.
I have started emptying the duck pond again as there is another leak. I am having trouble finding this one. It is an enormous task but is a good chance to clean out the pond. I have found a system for filtering the pond but need help to put it in place. As the others are all focused on finishing the Gites I am on my own with what I want done.
Finally cut the grass in the orchard as the clover had finished and the bees are busy with the lavender now. The geese can see where they are going now.
The perimeter of our land is nearly all fenced now and clear of brambles. There is a clear view of the surrounding fields. This means there is no cover for a fox and it will be more difficult to get in. This is good but I do rather miss the wild tumbled garden. I have managed to keep an area of nettles near the duck pond and the wildflower area in my veg patch. I think I need assertiveness lessons!
I have taken the decision to try to eat fish and give up most dairy. I will probably keep having butter as I will not eat plastic spreads.
I have also found some inexpensive crochet cotton and am busy making floor and washing up cloths. I no longer want to use anything disposable and proper cloths are not available here.
I continue to make progress with my chemical free and green life.
My plan for next year is to get loads of flowers into the grounds. Shrubs and bedding. If I can get my polytunnel finished I can grow things from seed which is more affordable.
I am putting in a lot of work to enjoy living here but it is hard to do.

2 comments:

  1. You might like to add a perennial that I discovered to your garden. It's supposed to attract insects - bee balm. See my blog for a picture

    ReplyDelete