Sunday 3 July 2016

More buzz buzz

So, today I did my first hive inspection. I used smoke as instructed but to be honest the bees were not bothered. I had a good look at the brood chamber which now has lots of filled cells. The syrup has hardly been taken which I expected. From observing them I knew they were bringing in lots of pollen. I have now removed the feed tray and put a framed super on instead. Hopefully the bees will move up into this to store the honey.
My nucleus is growing into a colony very quickly.
P helped me to alter the hive but was very nervous and insisted on being a helper letting me do the main bit. Very few bees landed on us.
I have also put the hive up on wooden blocks sitting in pots of old engine oil. This stops ants getting into the hive.
I am really enjoying bee keeping and look forward to next year when I can harvest honey.
I remembered this time to pin back my hair as last time it fell across my face. Nothing you can do when suited and gloved! It is a big learning curve but I feel like I am getting there.
If one day we do move back to the UK I will continue to keep bees.

2 comments:

  1. Early days but it sounds like you are learning fast. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look very competent in your beekeepers outfit, Aly!

    ReplyDelete