Wednesday 31 May 2017

Eyes down...a new project on the horizon

just when you think there's nothing new left.....I am working on getting some raw fleeces straight from the sheeps back! I will process it myself and knit it up! I can lay them out in the sun to dry out the lanolin. I will then put them in the washing machine inside a pillowcase to clean them up. I will then card them and spin them into usable wool. I may try natural dye too to give me some colour!
I am very excited with this one. I missed out on some Alpaca fleeces that were being given away so am really pleased about this. It seems the commercial value of fleece is rock bottom. Most sheep farmers almost give them away to big business. Also smaller farmers do not get any financial aid from government they have to have a minimum of 50 sheep. I find this very sad as I feel small farms are better for animals and the community.
I have worked at getting away from big business as much as possible. Mostly this is achieved by making things myself and growing what I can! If I can buy direct from someone I am happy to do so. Like with the fleece. Who knows where this will lead!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Aly, you're really cracking on with new projects! Well done, hope it all works out well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All part of not supporting big business!

    ReplyDelete