Friday 16 December 2016

Chickens and such

So my chickens, ducks and geese have been shut in over a week now! I have spoken to many others who have them about the rule to do this, both French and English. No one else is obeying this! I find this very frustrating. At least I know my birds are safe. The chickens are still laying eggs which means they are not stressed. I put together a big bowl of green veg each morning which they all enjoy. As they do not have access to grass and such I have to provide the green stuff they need. The geese seem to be the guardians of them all, herding the ducks and pecking the chickens if they fight! The white ducks are looking very muddy now without the pond to wash in!
We have moved the new duck house into the orchard with the geese and bees. I have yet to break up the old duck house. I have decided to plant leylandi along the fence between the pond area and the orchard . I will keep this as a hedge to stop the ducks flying over. There is temporary pond made from a tractor tyre and we plan to build a new pond that will have drainage. Lots of plans for the garden next year.
Him indoors is now without the plaster. He is also having longer periods with no sling too. I checked with the physio this was ok. He still has no strength in his arm but can now straighten it. Yesterday we put the new electric cables in the gain, all 22 meters of it! My mini needed a new brake light so he told me how to do it and I changed the bulb! Amazing what you can do when you have to!
Had the news yesterday our community doctor is retiring. We knew it was coming. He said the replacement is a Spanish man who speaks little French and no English. Could be fun. The older locals  will not put up with it. The Mairie appointed him! There is a problem here recruiting rural doctors. It is very unusual for France to employ someone who does not speak the language.
Work continues on the Gites although it is slow. Next week we will buy the flooring as we are ready to put it down.
The weather is very cold and foggy most days so I am not getting much done in the garden. I still need to sort out the veg patch ready for planting in the spring.
I am doing lots of crochet now...I have nearly finished a blanket for the dogs bed and have started a blanket for my new grandson due in April. Next month I will do the crochet along! I love the way the house is filling with colourful throws!
Next week is the shortest day after which things will improve. Winter is hard here being so isolated.

No comments:

Post a Comment