Friday 23 December 2016

A full day of work....

Due to the problem with bird flu my birds are all crammed into the chicken run and barn. It is now over two weeks and they are getting rather stressed. My disabled duck has been picked on and has not  been able to get enough to eat and drink. So......
Disabled duck is in a puppy cage in the chicken barn. I have suspended two plastic tubs from the bars for food and water. She is able to use these without knocking them over. When I put all to bed this evening she was stood up feeding. I have been certain she was weak through lack of food. Hopefully she will recover being kept out of pecking distance of the others. The geesecare definetly the boss in the barn.
As it is looking like they will have to be in lock down until March next year, I have started building a covered run for the ducks and geese. We have moved the duck house into the orchard and will move the goose house to stand next to it. I have dug out a large hole within the compound and moved the tractor tyre pond into it. I managed to get it level with the ground which will make it easier for them to access the pond. We will tomorrow build the frame of the run. The walls will be chicken wire and we have a large fruit net to put over the top. It has been necessary to do this as cheaply as possible whilst complying with the order to protect them from wild birds. As soon as it is done I will move the ducks and geese in. That will make life easier for the chickens.
We have also started on the fencing for the new Gites. It is very cold now for working outside but it all needs doing.
Lots of crochet going on! I have finished the throw for the dogs bed and started the blanket for my new grandson due next April. A friend has given me loads more wool which will be made into throws. I love making them and like having them piled up around the house. They hide our scruffy sofa and armchairs and are washed regularly so I need loads! We also wrap ourselves in them during cold weather if the fire has not been lit!
This time of year can only be endured. People disappear and with fields emptying out it all feels very desolate. The good thing is the shortest day has past and we can look forward to seeing things improve. Before we know it there will be green buds on trees.
I took the decision after talking to the physio to remove the plaster from him indoors. With the order to lift nothing heavier than a cuppa his arm is now getting stronger. He tried driving this week but no go. We are now less than two weeks until we see the surgeon again. I very much hope the end is in sight.

2 comments:

  1. Have a lovely Christmas with your family, Aly, and keep your spirits up! I don't think I mentioned but I also have a grandson named Elliot, you can see a picture of him (and the other two) in my blog.

    ReplyDelete