Monday 18 April 2016

The clearing work continues

This is part of the back of our garden. This morning the larger tree at the front of the picture was hidden by brambles. Some of the brambles are so thick they are like small tree trunks. The brambles also grow through the branches and are difficult to remove. As always there are chickens in the picture. It is one of the joys of gardening for me the way the chickens help me. They have dug up lots of bramble roots. You can just see the fields behind our land. When our place was a working farm the surrounding fields were part of the farm. When the family sold they kept the fields which are now rented to neighboring farmers. We bought the buildings with an acre of land.
When we first bought this place it had not been lived in for some time. The land was overgrown with brambles and ivy. Slowly I am reclaiming the land and revealing lots of trees. Some of the trees have self seeded and have to be removed. Over crowding. Once the brambles have gone I will refence the perimeter of our land.
We have done the front of our property and as well as fencing have planted Hazel bushes, for the wildlife and for privacy. There are fields on both sides of our drive that often have cows in them.
It has taken a long time to gain control of our land but I now feel I am winning.

4 comments:

  1. What a lot of hard work. I really admire your commitment to improving your property. I'm sure it will pay off in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still lots of ivy on the ground to clear. Much easier than brambles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But probably hard work, nevertheless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As ever but I enjoy doing it. It makes such a difference.

    ReplyDelete