Friday 15 April 2016

Bit of a weird week

last Sunday we had a mighty storm that knocked out our internet. We heard it blow! My poor roof has taken a battering but thankfully we now have the builder booked to do it. It will make such a difference.
Thursday of last week we were contacted by a couple wanting to come to our Gite on the Saturday. We had not put the Gite back together and needed to do some painting, change the bathroom blinds and put everything back in place. The grass also needed cutting. The four of us set to and as expected it was all ready in time. The couple leave again tomorrow.
Monday morning phoned orange and they confirmed our live box was dead. I was given a code and told to go to the orange shop in Mayenne and change the box! Problem was there are two shops in Mayenne. P had a heavy cold bit insisted on coming as he didn't think I could vote on my own. We waited a good half hour in the shop waiting to talk to the assistant only to be told she did not have the boxes go to the other shop! P was grumbling constantly by now. We walked down to the other shop and five minutes later came out with a new box! So by lunchtime we were back online. And I did all the talking, in French! Monday another storm started but this time we managed to unplug the phone. We have had some spectacular skies, really weird. The rest of the week has been very windy, again not good for our roof.
We have made great progress in the garden despite the weather. Lots more overgrown areas have been cleared. The chickens love scratching about in the newly uncovered areas. They have been so interested in it they have not left the garden.
I now have one of my big Aylesbury ducks who seems to be sitting on eggs. This makes me very happy, I love having ducklings around. The others all say we should get rid of the ducks as they are messy but they make me happy! So they are staying.
I currently have chickens laying eggs in the goose nest! Mrs Goose has built a lovely nest but still shows no sign of sitting. No broody chickens either so have currently 7 eggs in an incubator. Another 13 days to go!
I have moved the raspberry canes in the veg patch and planted the red onions. Hoping to plant more veg tomorrow. My polytunnel is still not ready which is very frustrating.
Then finally younger daughter had to put her car into the garage and her hubby's car was dying too. He had arranged to exchange it today but meanwhile had no car. So, they have borrowed my mini. I will be pleased to get it back tomorrow.
Made another batch of marmalade today. Breakfast toast is not the same without it.

2 comments:

  1. You have been busy! Congratulations on your accomplishments in French, you put me to shame with my meager ability in the language. I guess immersion pays off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visited our nearest neighbour, French farmers last week and Martigne commented on how my French had improved. We had quite a conversation. I love that I can chat to all sorts of people now. It is by no means perfect but most seem to understand me!

    ReplyDelete