Sunday 17 April 2016

A couple of hours in the veg patch and.....

I have planted...peas, broccoli, kale, Brussels sprouts and leeks. All seeds for the first time so hope they work. I always find it very hard to thin out and usually end up keeping all the young plants and putting them elsewhere in the garden! I still have butternut squash and spaghetti squash to go in. Once the polytunnel is done I will plant tomatoes, chillis, peppers and cucumbers.
Humbug cat decided to pester me which was tricky as she walks over the bits I have prepared for the seed. I hope she will not dig up my seeds.
I use no chemicals in my garden, all weeding is done by hand. It means what grows is as near to organic as I can get it. It makes for a lot of work but I enjoy spending an hour out there after the day's work is done looking after my veg patch. It is a great feeling to pick fresh veg for dinner.
The fruit trees are showing signs of blossom, I hope there are still plenty of flowers when the bees arrive in June. We have several large lavender bushes along the front path that I hope they will find. Many other bees find it. There is also a humming bird moth that frequents it. An amazing little thing and a joy to watch.
I have been reading lately about people whose parents embraced self sufficiency in the 1970's. The majority did not follow in their parents footsteps as they found the life too isolated and hard. It surprised me. There is a now another trend towards it. It is hard work but enjoyable. I get so much pleasure being out with the chickens, ducks and geese. I am still hoping to add some animals at some point.
A very busy time is coming up with everything growing. Lots of time in the garden....and a very happy me!

3 comments:

  1. You are quite a bit ahead of me in the garden. I am just getting the beds prepared and won't plant anything outside until almost the end of May. My garlic, asparagus and rhubarb are just appearing but won't be ready to harvest for another month or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go by what the French are doing and farmers and house owners are busy planting. I just had to wait for the ground to dry off after all the torrential rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching the hummingbird moth too - haven't seen any yet this year in the Languedoc. Wild asparagus is in very short supply this year.

    ReplyDelete