Wednesday 3 February 2016

Another victory with bureaucracy

This week we had to sort out the importation of daughter's car. The headlights were changed a couple of weeks ago so the next stage was the CT (mot in England). As it is a newer car it has the type approval number on the V5 so should not need a certificate of conformity. We went to our usual place for the CT who said we had to have the certificate for him to do the test. Came home and contacted Citroen to find out the cost. Meanwhile we were told of another test place who would do it without the certificate. This one is in our department and it is not unusual here for policies to be different in other departments. So we obtained the CT. Next stage to go to the tax office for the quitas fiscal, this is a check to ensure there are no outstanding loans on the car. Daughter and sil live on our property so all uitlity bills are in our name. All they have are mobile phone bills and car insurance. The tax office would not give us the paper without a justification of domicile. Had to go back to our village to the Marie to get an attestation..they love those here. It was issued with no problem so back to the tax office and this time success.
Today was the big one...we had to go to the main prefecture for the next stage. Last year I had tried to change my driving license for a French one by post and twice it was returned to me. I wanted to do this at the same time. Daughter sailed through her bit, paid her money and came away with the document needed to get the French number plates. Hers was done quickly. I had to wait longer for my turn and when I finally was at the window was told there were two more forms I had to complete. The other problem was once more the justification of domicile..proof of address. We had the usual utility bills but they are only in the name of P so we took a tax demand that was In both names to prove we lived at the same address. She had to consult someone else but finally it was agreed I had the right paperwork! 3 completed forms, 3 photos, copy of utility bill, copy of passport, copy of birth certificate and plastic and paper parts of my English license. Then another problem...if I wanted to retain grandfather rights I had to have an attestation from my doctor! No way was I doing all this again so I agreed to being covered for cars only. I have never driven a van, lorry or caravan and never will. I now have a document to show the police if needed to say my new license is in progress! I did it!
One of the problems with dealing with officialdom here is the goalposts keep changing and it is hard to find out what the changes are. Usually you turn up at a government office with what you think is the right paperwork only to be told no!
The department we were in today had a lot of migrants waiting. At least my license was a European one, most of them are non European. Ten times harder to sort out! I felt very sorry for them.
My French is far from perfect but I am managing much better now.
I am feeling good this evening!

4 comments:

  1. What a nightmare, but you got through it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember all of the red tape when I tried to get a work permit in Germany. I was there to teach English for two years at a private international school near Frankfurt. Luckily, all the new teachers had sponsors who had gone through all of this when they had had to do the same thing when they arrived in Germany to teach. Our sponsor had been in Germany for several years and was married to a German, so both of them came along and did all of the talking.

    The Germans love their stamps of officialdom. I even had to go to an office to 'unregister" when I was ready to move back to the States!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete