Friday 19 February 2016

A good day in the garden

Some of my chickens and the geese enjoying some sun!
Today I have cleared lots of debris that had accumulated over the winter. I have established a hard wood compost heap. Also one for veg peelings and weeds that the chickens can dig over which will make it compost quicker. They will also manure it as they go. Good organic practice.
I have worked out where my polytunnel is going too and put plastic down to kill the weeds. Hubby has said he will buy me one and I am so excited about it. I used to get excited about clothes, bags and shoes but how times have changed! I am sitting having a mug of herbal tea in muddy jeans with a dog on my lap asleep. It doesn't get any better!
My big greenhouse frame that is on concrete and had been a problem to find glass and putty for will be boarded. I will put a green tin roof on it and it will become a potting shed and place to keep all the garden tools. Another exciting project. I plan to put guttering on this and a water butt as this will help with watering the veg patch. I am looking forward to planting the seeds I have collected over the winter.
The geese now have two eggs tucked away in their house. I am hoping she will sit this year. I think she will wait until she has around nine eggs before sitting. The ducks also have a pile of eggs in their house. Hoping for some babies from them all this year.
The chickens are laying eight eggs every day and my egg mountain keeps growing. I use lots, give loads away and still have eggs to spare!
I will also clear nine young trees that have self seeded against the oldest barn wall. This will open it out and enable me to clear the ivy. There is a door into the garden side and my plan is to convert the inside to house goats! It will have stalls for them and a milking stand so when it rains I can milk them in the dry. I must put the bee hive together and decide where it will go in my garden.
The barn renovation that will be a house for my eldest daughter and hubby is nearly done. They will be in by the end of the month. It is looking really good.
I love days like today, I feel like anything is possible and love being outside.

1 comment:

  1. What an ambitious schedule you have for the coming weeks, Aly. I hope it all comes to fruition!

    ReplyDelete