Sunday 29 November 2015

Making my stand!

For animals that is. I have heard recently that some French farmers are going in for mega dairy farms. This will mean dairy herds being kept indoors all their lives. I feel this is totally wrong and is exploiting animals big time. It is all about profit which I want no part of. I will no longer buy meat or dairy products from big supermarkets. I will use a local butcher for my meat where I can ask the source. Today we are having a chicken that I paid a lot for but it was raised out side, fed non GM grain and lived a mimimum of 81 days. No artificial feeds or antibiotics to make it grow fast. My milk is bought from a neighbour with a dairy herd and I can see where the cows are kept. We are coming up to the time when the cows will be in a barn mostly but will be in the field when weather permits and will walk to the milking shed twice a day!
The sooner we get to being self sufficient with meat the better. This stand will mean we have less meat but that is no bad thing. When we eat out I will only have a vegetarian meal unless it is clear where the meat came from and meets with my standard.
I am sounding rather militant I know but I feel very strongly about this. Animals are there to provide us with food but not to be exploited.
I still have not found any ethical pork so that is off the menu until I do. The majority of pork here is raised in big sheds in confined spaces. That I will not support.
I plan to buy cheese and cream products from markets where small farms sell their own produce. Again it will cost more so we will have less. Not a bad thing really as we eat too much anyway!
I currently have a freezer full of local lamb which will keep us going months.

3 comments:

  1. I admire your stand - just wish I could follow suit but it is difficult (not to mention, too expensive) to find ethical sources of food in the city. I eat very little meat, except for fish and chicken once or twice a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ethical meat is expensive here too but that is due to higher production costs. We are happy to have less in our diet so it is not a problem. Our main meat day is Sunday roast en famille!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I much prefer buying meat as we do now from our local butchers.....we know exactly where it comes from, and the quality and taste are so much better.

    ReplyDelete