Monday 16 November 2015

As France mourns

It was a complete shock to us seeing the events unfolding in Paris. This is my adopted country and I feel the pain with true French people. The world is truly a horrid place now and I will never understand why humans do such awful things to each other.
Meanwhile closer to home...hubby has been unwell ever since his last accident. The wound healed well with no problems but he has had a general malaise for a few weeks. On Saturday he had an upset tum. Yesterday he deteriorated at an alarming rate and I was truly worried. I called the emergency Doctor service who were wonderful. Although the lady did not speak English she told me to speak French slowly which enabled her to understand me. She was concerned enough to call an ambulance. Two lovely young men arrived one of whom spoke some English which was a great help. They checked him out and called the hospital to say we were coming. It was not the one I had taken him to before so did not know where it was. It is policy here for relatives to follow on. It was good it was a Sunday as the roads were really quiet but I drove way too fast trying to keep up. I knew if I didn't I would not find the hospital! I had to check him in and complete the paperwork and by the time I joined him in the room he was in a gown with an intravenous drip going. They were just taking bloods to identify was clearly an infection. At all times I was expected to stay with him which surprised me. In less than an hour the bug was identified and two lots of antibiotics were given intravenously along with paracetamol to reduce his temperature. He has a gastric infection! He improved rapidly once the medicine was given. All the staff were lovely and did not have a problem with my bad French. We were both very pleased to be allowed home. I was given a prescription to sort out the next day. He was ok on the drive home but once home was shivering violently again and totally exhausted. The whole episode from the time I called the emergency to the time we came home was just four hours. That includes a half hour drive home! Once again I am impressed with the healthcare here.
We had a really rough night up every hour! This morning I collected all the drugs and have had to push him to eat a bit to help absorb them.
On top of this I currently have a rotten cold.
Sorry to be all gloom and doom, sometimes life goes wrong.
Right now I am grateful I live in the back of beyond in peace.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you both feel better soon, Aly. It's good you have your family nearby and no guests to worry about.

    ReplyDelete