Tuesday 29 November 2016

Winter arrives

the pond was frozen this morning which always confuses the ducks! They slide across it in an alarmed manner coming to a stop at the end where they battle to scramble out! They do this every winter and never seem to learn!
The leaves have just about all fallen now and once again we can see across the fields. Today the sky is a brilliant blue and the sun is shining but there is no warmth. The wood burner is crackling to keep us warm! No central heating here!
I have moved the geese into cluckingham palace to share with the chickens. The chickens all sleep either on the beam ot on top of the walls so the floor is empty. I put down a thick blanket of straw in a corner where the geese snuggle down. It gives them more room. At this time of year the birds are shut in for a long time. I have tried to get the ducks in too but they will not move out of their area. I will leave them for now until the new duck house is built.
Him indoors is still in plaster but having twice weekly physio now. He is progressing but it is very slow and he is very bad tempered. So much to do and he cannot do anything. Work on the Gites is carrying on slowly but I think we will be ok to launch in Spring.
I apologise for the lack of photos. The site has changed how I find them and I am having trouble finding out how to do it. I will get there!
I have joined a crochet along run by Lucy at attic 24. It starts in January and I have the wool ready! Discovered something wonderful yesterday..Hobbycraft now deliver to France. I have ordered a set of easy grip crochet hooks! It is a shop I visit whenever I go to the U.K. There will be frequent parcels arriving from there! Nowadays it is the little things that make me happy!
Lots of crochet planned and underway, great for this cold weather. A big throw across my lap keeps me cosy.

5 comments:

  1. It must have been amusing to watch the ducks on the ice. I wish I had been there to see it. Do they eventually get used to the change? We are having unseasonably mild weather this week. It got up to 15C today and was sunny. I had lunch at the picnic table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "cluckingham palace". What a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We called the barn cluckingham palace because we paid rather a lot of money to have the roof put back on. It is very posh for chickens. I now need to cement the inside walls to stop the rats burrowing through. Now the geese live in the barn too the rats seem to have disappeared. When we cement the walls we will build in more permanent nest boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing. I can't believe the things you are accomplishing.

    I meant to comment on your previous post about the state of health care i the UK. My husband is email friends with a man in the UK whose very obese adult son fell and broke his leg in several places. The stories Jack would send back about the abysmal care his son was receiving in hospital were sickening--not changing dressings for days, not replacing a broken harness so that the son could change positions, getting medication wrong, etc. I used to believe that health care would be better for me if I lived in the UK--I have MS--but no longer. I'm sorry for the horrors your aunt has had to experience. There is no excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is like a third world country. The care P has received here has been brilliant. He is still having twice weekly physio. The difference here is we pay 30% the government pays 70% if you have paid into the system. We have a private policy to cover our 30%. We often pay a small amount up front then have it reimbursed. I cannot fault it!

    ReplyDelete