Monday 17 October 2016

A difficult couple of days

We were up until gone midnight last night trying to remove the hairs on the arm of him indoors. We had been told on no account to shave the area. Three applications and an hour later his arm was sore and not all the hair had gone. Give up I said, let them deal with it tomorrow. He then had his disinfectant shower and we tried to get some sleep. He slept ok but I was awake worrying. We had to be up early as the hospital wanted him there by 9am. He had to starve from midnight. He was not a happy bunny when I drove him to the hospital.
Found the ward and were shown to a double room. I asked the person who took us where he was on the list..she didn't know as she was the cleaner! Oh well. We sat twiddling our thumbs for an hour then a young man and his mother came in. A room mate! A while later a woman came in and told us she worked in the hospital helping with translations for English patients. She found out where he was on the list...4pm. And that was not a definite time. He could have had a light breakfast. Eventually a nurse arrived to admit them both. She dealt with the young man first as he was earlier on the list...so how come we had to arrive so early?
The nurse could speak English but decided not to as she felt our French was good enough! There are days I could scream! I mentioned the problem with the hair removal cream and she went and found a razor and shaved his arm. Another grrrr! A pile of paperwork completed and we now knew he would be in over night.. I had to go home and get his earphones and book so he could listen to music if he had trouble sleeping. I also took him a few English tea bags so he can have a decent cuppa!
When I got back to the hospital it was clear I was in the way so I said I would go. I stopped to ask the nurse about visiting this evening...she said not to as he would not be back on the ward before 8pm. Ok, what time can I collect him in the morning?.....no cannot visit in the morning. I have left it that he will call when he is ready to be picked up. I do not like leaving him there. His French is pretty good but I know he will struggle in that situation. He has never had surgery or stayed in hospital before.
I also do not like being on my own.
It has made us think more about being here in old age. We do not think we want to manage any chronic illnesses in a foreign country. The healthcare here is excellent. The attitude of the staff is much harder and the language will always be a problem.
I will be happier tomorrow when he is home.

1 comment:

  1. Poor you...and poor P. I would be very put out if I had to go without food for a whole day! However, it will soon be over and he will be on the mend, God willing.

    ReplyDelete