Tuesday 28 June 2016

Buzz buzzz

Yesterday evening we collected our bees! This has been an ambition for years and I cannot believe we have finally done it. We had to go late in the day to ensure as many as possible were back in the hive. Our mentor put a travelling screen on top of the brood box and we put everything in the boot of our 4x4. A few stragglers followed the hive into the boot and sat on the screen for the journey home. They did not enter the car! Once home I put on my suit to sort the hive out. I had to put in the feed tray and reconstruct the hive. When I took the screen off loads of bees flew out and landed on me. They are small and very gentle and at no point did I feel threatened. I managed to get most back in the hive and left them to settle in.
This morning I had a look when I let everyone out and all was still. After taking this photo I sat for a bit as the sun was coming round. Slowly bees started to come out and fly off. Two landed on me. One on my bare hand but they just had a look. I chatted to them as you are meant to and eventually they flew off. I plan to spend lots of time watching for now. On Friday I will open the hive again to check the status of the sugar syrup and to see how the building work is doing. Hopefully there be lots of fertilized cells. I have no chance of finding the queen but as long as I can see activity I will know she is there.
I feel very calm around my bees but know at some point I will be stung. All bee keepers are. I will always put on my bee keepers suit when doing anything with the hive as I am still very much a novice.
I am now looking forward to next year when hopefully I can harvest some honey.
I think it can be safely said that my old work colleagues would not recognize me now! My son in law who lives with us calls me a belated hippy! I guess I am!

4 comments:

  1. What fun! Hope you get lots of tasty honey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cannot harvest until next year. This year they will I hope build up the colony and prepare for winter. Any honey they make will be for them. Next year we can take some for us. Loving having them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubby kept bees for years and harvested great amounts of honey. We still have jars left to use. It lasts forever.

    He finally had to give it up after having a bad reaction to a sting. It is strange that he'd been stung before and had not had a problem. Our son-in-law was able to take the bees to a nursery where he worked as an arborist.

    There are several fiction books that I've read that have bee-keeping as one of the main subjects, and all were great reads. Let me know if you are interested in the titles.

    I wish you great success and lots of honey from your bees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Beth. Am ploughing through several bee keeping books just now and learning fast. Waiting for some sun so I can do my first hive inspection.
    Will not harvest the honey until next year as they will need the store from this year for winter feed.

    ReplyDelete