Sunday 27 March 2016

Big achievement in the veg patch

So, this is the bottom end of the veg patch. We all spent Friday sorting it out. You can see the frame of the new polytunnel. At the start of the day this area was covered in brambles and ivy and sloped. The trees on the boundary were over hanging and you could not see the field beyond. The chickens and geese enjoyed picking over what we dug up!
You can see two of the beds in the picture that currently have raspberry canes in them. These are to be moved to the perimeter to make room for more veg. There are three more beds the same that we have dug over ready for planting.
When the cows are in the field they hang their heads over the fence and watch me!
Once I have started planting the chickens will be shut out as they dig up everything I plant. I have a thornless blackberry growing along one fence.
This year I will try to grow...peas, beans, red onions, spring onions, kale, cabbage, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower. Also squash and courgettes. In the polytunnel will be tomatoes, cucumbers, chillies and peppers.
I look forward to getting going. Weather has stopped play in the garden for the next few days but there is still plenty of time to get going.
I always feel very happy when working in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment