Saturday 10 September 2016

Last guests for this year

Already our last guests arrive today. There is always a chance we will get another booking for the end of this year but we do not expect it. The couple coming today are from Guernsey so do not have to go anywhere near Calais.
The problems in Calais continue with regular attempts by migrants to go through the tunnel. The English side always say the delays are due to power failure which it is but that is not the whole story...the French side have no problem reporting the power was turned off due to people in the tunnel. I cannot understand how they get that far. There are barriers and checks at several places. There is also a high perimeter fence now. For the ferry there are customs people, French and English, checking lorries with trained dogs. Still migrants manage to climb into the back of the lorries. Now there is to be a big expensive wall built along the access road to the ferry to protect the queuing lorries. The so called jungle has been cleared several times but is rebuilt! I really feel for the residents of Calais who have had their town ruined. I do not have a solution to this problem but cannot understand why it continues. It has affected our bookings this year which has a direct impact on us. Along with the Brexit vote that has affected the exchange rate and reduced our pension payments.  I hope next year is better.
The garage floor is down and looking good. Should be able to put the car in there on Moonday. P plans to make frames to put on the walls and hang tools on. This will mean we will have all the car related tools in one place, creating space in the oldest barn. Once this barn is empty we will take the roof off, cap the walls and create a walled garden. I plan to move the bee hive into here and have it planted with loads of bee friendly flowers. We will also create a seating area. It will be a lovely project to work on.
I will soon start sorting out the veg patch getting it ready for next year. Just waiting for cooler weather. I will carefully plan what we grow based on past successes and failures.
For once I do not dread the thought of winter.

2 comments:

  1. Aly, I will be interested in any tips you have for preparing your vegetable patch for next year. I had rather poor crops this year (except the kale, I am still giving it away!)and think I may have removed all the nutrients from the soil by planting the same crops year after year. Your walled garden sounds impressive!
    Hope your bookings pick up next year but I doubt the planned wall at Calais will do much to stop the migrants. In the paper today I read a comment from a British politician to the effect that having travelled so far in such dangerous situations a mere wall is not going to stop them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to remove the individual beds, it is a potager style. I will then create two large beds with paths around the edges. The large beds can then be rotavated and have lots of manure dug in. I like the idea of no dig but need to improve things first. The big beds will be easier to plant and weed. It will also mean I can use the hoe more effectively.

    ReplyDelete