Friday 23 September 2016

Autumn jobs

lots to do now. Really is harvest time! The pantry shelves are groaning with jars of Apple purée, Apple and blackberry, chutney, various jams and jellies. The freezer has a good stock of homemade passata made from boxes of tomatoes friends have given me. For the first time I have used glass jars in the freezer. This is in line with my bid to ditch plastic. As my Tupperware type things deteriorate I am replacing them with glass jars. I will no longer buy cling film or zip lock bags. Much like no longer using kitchen roll it will take a bit of getting used to.
I have been without kitchen roll for over a month now, using the pads I made. They work very well as do the cloths I have knitted.
Work will start soon on re organizing the veg plot. As part of this I hope to get the polytunnel finished! I would like to grow some winter veg to keep us going.
We need to cut down a tree that at this time of year blocks the sun from the bee hive. I had a visit from my mentor today who suggested it. The bees need to be warm! He is coming back next week on a sunny afternoon to help me remove the super and check the brood box. I want him to do this as I do not really know what I am looking for. He has said to store the frames of honey to put back on in Spring. I will put a syrup tray on for the winter. Over the winter I will have to sort out a second hive ready for when they swarm. I do not want to lose these bees as they are so gentle.
A general pruning is needed now. I have done the lavander bushes and the climbing roses and wisteria on the front of the house. My Hazel hedges need a good prune as they are too high. I do not want them to become trees. The walnut tree is too big too. I also have an apple tree and two pear trees that need a good prune. Then the raspberry canes need cutting back and moving. I am going to take them out of the veg patch as they take up too much room and spread so much.
Next year I mean to increase our food production so that we can buy less from the shops.
I have everything except the milk now for cheese making. The milk will come from our neighbour who is a dairy farmer. I just need a couple of days to make it!
I rather like this time of year, it feels gentle and I like all the making of things to enjoy over winter.
I have lit the Esse a few times bit it has not really been cold enough yet. The mornings are chilly but it is quite warm in the afternoons then cooler again once the sun goes down. We now have the heavy duvet on our bed again!
This will be a good winter as work will finally begin on my house. The other two Gites are progressing well and will be finished before long. We already have a booking of a week for all three Gites...three couples who are friends. We plan to promote this idea. I do hope we have a better year next year, we need to refill the coffers!
The new garage floor is great, making it easier for him indoors to work on the cars. My new brake discs came today so that will be the first job to be done. Along with my oil change!
So really all is good at the first and last house in Normandy.

2 comments:

  1. Well done, you! Your preparation for the coming months seems to be well underway. I wish I could use a poly tunnel but it is too cold here in the winter to grow anything even with protection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to get down to -13 but the last few winters have been warmer. I am hoping my plan will work.

    ReplyDelete