Friday 20 May 2016

Progress report on the chicks

So here they are. Feathers are growing fast now. Today I have taken away the heat lamp as they have enough feathers to keep them warm. I will cover the cage at night to keep them warm. If they are ok and the weather stays warm I will put the cage in the chicken barn. This gives them a chance to get used to the others birds and gore others to accept the chicks. There is always a bit of a fight in the early days as the pecking order is sorted but they eventually all settle down. The plan is that any cockerels will go in the freezer once big enough. As you know saying it and doing it are two different things.
It has been a difficult week. A man took a photo of me talking to a French friend. I was speaking in French. We challenge him as it is wrong to take a photo without permission. He said he was a politician with Le Front Nationale and he wanted the photo for his campaign to get people like me out of France. This upset me very much. What more can I do? I pay tax here and speak the language when needed. This has led to me feeling once more desperate to go back to the UK. I do not like being a foreigner. All our money is in this property which would have to be sold. Family are trying to calm me down and I hope to get over this latest crisis.
I have started renovating an old bed. It has a wooden frame and padded head and foot boards. I am planning to paint the frame and recover the head and foot. It is taking me ages to remove the old upholstery tacks. I will put up a photo of the finished bed.
Hubby is away in England for the footie! He managed to get a cup final ticket. Not a good time for me to be on my own!

1 comment:

  1. That is not nice! I can understand why you were upset. I hope he is in the minority. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete