Wednesday 25 May 2016

As France kicks off ...again

so, life is being made difficult at the moment. France has a very large book called Loi de travaille, it is red and was started by the cause of most of the problems..Napoleon! It protects the employee and has been greatly added to over the decades. The government has decided it needs reforming but did not ask the opinion of the people. So we are now suffering lots of strikes. The law cripples small business and prevents competition. For example a doctor cannot advertise he speaks English! A supermarket cannot sell paracetamol as it would compete with pharmacies. There are many things like this.
The refineries were being blockaded so it has been difficult to get fuel. The police broke the blockade yesterday so now the refinery workers are on strike. There is virtually no diesel available and petrol is limited to €20. We are not allowed to fill up jerry cans so cannot use our petrol lawn mower. We are having to limit using the car.
Tomorrow we start power cuts and ferries, trains and planes are on strike too. It does not make me love living here!
We are doing well with getting the spare room done and I am winning with the veg patch. It is all hard work and my energy levels are not what they used to be!
Tomorrow our daughter and husband will set up as auto entrepreneurs. This will give them access to the French health care system and make them resident here. They are nervous about this which I understand as it is a big commitment. They are detremined to make living here work.
Meanwhile I am feeling very down and thinking more often I want to go back to the UK. I am hoping this is just a phase that I will get over as it is getting harder to hide how I feel.

2 comments:

  1. I think there are some things you would miss if you returned to the UK. You have put so much into your present home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would not be able to sell it anyway!

    ReplyDelete