Sunday 14 August 2016

Summer seems to be staying

weather is weird at the moment. Very foggy early mornings like Autumn with a cool start. It heats up as the day progresses peaking around 4pm. From 8pm as the sun starts going down it cools down. We sat out late last night and lit the chiminea which was lovely. There is something comforting about sitting by an open fire.
The apples look as if they are ready but are still a bit small. It is about a month too early to harvest. Runner beans are available daily now and all the red onions are in. The squash does not look as though I will get any this year. Generally it has been a bad year for veg.
Spent a day sorting out my pantry. The mice have been active again so had to clean up. I have rearranged things and it is now organised. I have also rehomed the tins and bits stored on the floor so it feels more open. I want to get some white gloss paint to redo the shelves. This will make them easier to wipe down. Am gradually getting everything into glass jars and metal tins.
I have now made the bags to hold the dirty cloths and have knitted a good stock of them. I have plenty more cotton to make more. I have also started on my paperless kitchen towels. I have made several and the rest are cut ready to be sewn. I plan to keep these in a basket. I have one more paper roll to use but will no longer buy it.
My next campaign is to ditch plastic. The plastic containers I have I will continue to use but will not replace when needed. I will look for glass containers. The challenge will be the freezer. From next year our supermarkets will no longer give plastic bags for fruit and veg which I am pleased about.
On the chemical front I now use homemade makeup wipes as well as my face cream. I use real natural soap for washing me and am looking at other ideas for removing chemicals from our lives.
All of this I saving me money too which cannot be bad!

2 comments:

  1. Aly, you are to be commended on your money- and environmental-saving incentives. I'm with you on plastic but still use quite a bit of paper products. You encourage me to do better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It would be good if shops could help with less packaging. Although I buy very little ready made stuff now there is still too much plastic involved! The other thing I no longer buy are tissues. We use cotton handkerchiefs now!

    ReplyDelete